The decision to work from home involves many considerations; however one consideration that is often overlooked is that maintaining motivation when at home can be a challenge. Many people find that after the initial excitement of starting their own business, it is difficult to sustain the motivation that spurred them to action originally. Some people will find that without the collaboration of co-workers, work no longer holds the same level of creativity and energy that they once experienced in the work place.
There are many suggested ways of creating a work at home environment that will facilitate staying motivated. In the same way that launching a new business takes careful planning, overcoming the obstacles that can interfere with sustained motivation requires a well mapped out plan of action. Devising a system that will help you to preserve your motivation is a key ingredient in succeeding when working online.
Tips to Help Maintain Motivation
1) Remember your “WHY”. Most individuals who make the decision to work from home have a strong WHY along with long-term goals. Having your why and your goals in constant sight can serve as a powerful motivator. Many people use pictures or motivational quotes to assist them is staying motivated.
2) Maintain Scheduled Office Hours. Treat your work at home job the same way you would a real job that you would have outside the home. During scheduled work hours, do not attend to personal matters or take personal calls. Utilize this time for accomplishing those tasks you have identified as vital to the success of your business. Plan your schedule so that you focus your energies on your most challenging jobs at the time when you are at your best and least likely to have interruptions.
3) Schedule Breaks. Just as important as setting hours when you are to work is determining times when you will take short breaks throughout your work day. An occasional break during the workday will help to renew and refresh you. It is also important to include time for short vacations; vacations are needed whether you are working outside the home or working from home.
4) Review Your Accomplishments. Begin each day with a To Do list. As you complete tasks on the list, cross them off the list. At the end of the day, review what you have completed. You can also set deadlines for your scheduled tasks; make note at the end of the day of how many deadlines you have met.
5) Reward Your Accomplishments. Set daily and weekly goals that will lead you closer to your long-term goals. Track these goals and determine a small reward for reaching them. It can be as simple as a coffee break or going out to dinner; the important thing is to recognize your progress and compensate it accordingly.
6) Take Care of Yourself. It is vital that you get enough rest, eat well, have time to exercise and engage in relaxing activities; consequently, when you are at work you will be more likely to have the necessary energy to stay focused on those tasks you have identified for success.
7) Don’t Isolate Yourself. Working from home should not mean that you completely isolate yourself. It is important that you maintain work contacts both online and off line. There are groups both online and off line that have been established for the purpose of networking. Having others with whom you can share your goals, consult about problems, and develop ideas can serve as a strong motivator.
8) Maintain Off Hours. Equally important as working during work hours is learning not to work on the hours you have scheduled as free time. Over the long run, constantly overworking yourself will cause you to feel discouraged and frequently will diminish your motivation instead of fueling it.
What methods prove effective in sustaining motivation will vary for each individual; it may involve trial and error in an effort to discern those methods that successfully help each person to stay motivated. Recognizing the importance of providing ways to stimulate and maintain motivation will help an individual to successfully transition to his/her new work at home business.
David Alexander is the creator & developer of a number of a stupidly SIMPLE online opportunities used across the United States & Canada Helping those in need of extra income find real solutions online.
Helping Everyday Folks Earn Extra Income Online…. The Online Work Home