A resume represents you in words and is the one that creates the first impression. So, a resume must be well thought of and written perfectly. According to experts in the field of human resources there are five basic concepts:
1. A resume must market your skills. It must highlight your qualifications and experience.
2. The resume must avoid focusing on the past and project what you are and your capabilities. It must be about “you” and not on your past.
3. The highlight must be on your plans for the future and how you intend to go about achieving your aims.
4. Instead of chronologically listing your job profiles the resume must emphasize with clarity your accomplishments.
5. The resume must reflect your skills and visions not just mundane everyday actions at work.
When sitting down to write or rewrite a resume, put yourself in the shoes of the person who will read the resume and either shortlist you or junk your application. Never use a standard resume for every job application. Rework the resume to “fit” the job you are applying for.
There are 10 vital steps that will help you create a perfect resume:
1. First read through the job vacancy profile carefully. Then create a “job objective.” This just means the position you are applying for.
2. Determine what skills, knowledge, and experience will suit the job best.
3. Create a short list of your qualifications and experience that will reflect that you are a suitable candidate for the post. That is you are capable of handling the proposed “job objective.”
4. Draw from your past experience and find accomplishments that prove you can shoulder the job responsibilities.
5. In the resume elaborate in brief accomplishments that highlight your abilities to handle the job you are applying for. Emphasize how your work benefited your employer.
6. Include in the resume a table listing the jobs you have held in chronological order. Begin with the most recent. Include student experience, summer placements, and projects undertaken gratis. Explain any time gaps.
7. List your educational qualifications especially those relevant to the job you are applying for.
8. Ensure that the format of the resume is consistent follow either the chronological or functional format. A template for a functional resume is at Jobstar tools and chronological is at: Jobstar tools (chron. order)
9. Include a concise and crisp career objective at the beginning of the resume.
10. At the beginning include a summary of key points.
When in doubt surf the World Wide Web and read through resume tips and formats given by experts on sites like monster.com and Yahoo jobs .com.
A perfect resume is one that grabs the attention of the employer. It should be distinct from the thousands that will reach the employer’s desk. A winning resume is one that speaks volumes without shouting out loud of your abilities and strengths.
Write a resume. Then ask an impersonal outsider to vet it for you. If in doubt seek professional help.
Aaron Brooks is a freelance writer for 1888 Jobsearch, the premier website to find free search for free online employment services, job vacancies, part time job, job listing and many more. He also freelances for the premier Tax site 1888Tax
Article Source: Ezine Articles
Are you a mom who is returning to the workforce and you’d like to know how to use your boost your resume with the skills you have as a mom? Take a look at this article: Mom, Boost your Resume.